The Church of Mercy of Porto (Igreja da Misericordia do Porto) is located on the celebrated Rua das Flores, a street very popular with tourists visiting Porto. The history of this church goes back to the early 16th century, but the construction works lasted until the end of the century, the church being consecrated no sooner than 1590. The edifice is a mix of architectural styles and influences, combining Renaissance and Gothic elements, as well as Mannerist details and Neoclassical touches.

This state of affairs is due to the fact the church underwent major restoration works somewhere during the 18th century when, after a period of abandonment, it almost turned into a virtually ruined structure. It was from this period that the Baroque and Rococo elements date back, and they are owed chiefly to Nicolau Nasoni, one of the main architects commissioned to redesign and to rebuild the church.

Thus, across the centuries, the church gathered a wealth of highlights, such as, starting from the exterior, the 18th century Baroque facade, the Neoclassical woodwork inside the edifice and the decorative ceramic tiles from the first half of the 17th century (originally designed in Lisbon and then brought here). A Flemish fountain also pegs out the interior of this place of worship, being one of the oldest elements of the decorative patrimony of the edifice.

Name:
Church of Mercy of Porto (Igreja da Misericordia do Porto)
Address:
15, Rua das Flores, Porto, Portugal

15, Rua das Flores, Porto, Portugal

Go to top