The idea of setting up a Military Museum of Porto occurred in the year 1920, in the context of the inauguration of an exhibition the theme of which was the Liberal Revolution of 1820. However, the museum opened no sooner than 1980, when the efforts of finding a building to be home to a venue of this kind finally paid off. We speak of the former headquarters of the secret police of Porto, a building dating back to the late 19th century.

The museum is managed by the Portuguese Army, and its mission is to retrace the history of warfare in time by means of exhibits which were amassed by the museum from private donations and donations made by the national army. A definite highlight of the museum refers to the collection of miniature figures of soldiers (amounting to some 16,000 items). Another attraction is the collection of cannons, combat vehicles, firearms and ancient weapons, covering a period of time from the 15th to the 20th century. A library containing informative materials in the field is also available within the perimeter of the museum.

Name:
Military Museum of Porto (Museu Militar do Porto)
Address:
329, Rua do Heroismo, Porto, Portugal
Telephone:
00351 225 365514
Fax:
00351 225 365514
Email:
musmilporto@mail.exercito.pt
Website:
www.exercito.pt

329, Rua do Heroismo, Porto, Portugal

Go to top